Mammary elevation surgery | Mastopexy, mammopexy or breast pexia surgery
The breast lift operation or mastopexy at Clínica Sanza in Barcelona consists of restoring sagging breasts to their correct position. It is a pathology known as breast ptosis, and is often associated with breast hypertrophy, skin ageing, sudden weight loss or changes in the breast (due to hormonal cycles), or as a consequence of post-gravidity regression (after childbirth).
In any case, this operation always involves a lowering of the breast and the nipple-areola complex below their normal anatomical position.
In ptosis, the lower pole of the breast falls below the submammary fold and the upper pole is empty.
In this section we tell you how to solve it, who it is aimed at, what the operation is like, how long the surgery lasts, if you need time to rest, etc.
WHERE DO WE OPERATE?
At Clínica Sanza we rely on the Sagrat Cor Hospital, part of the Quirónsalud group, to perform our surgical procedures.
Its prestige, facilities, medical and healthcare staff, as well as its technology are a guarantee.
BARCELONA: A HEALTH HUB
Do you want to know why it is worth coming to Barcelona for plastic surgery and why so many people come from abroad?
WE ORGANIZE EVERYTHING FOR YOU
Your trip, your flight, your operation, your transfer and your hotel with our support agency. We work with the best travel agencies worldwide.
Young women wishing to lift their drooping breasts.
Women who want to reposition their breasts after breastfeeding.
Patients with skin problems, back problems, or other issues that affect their self-esteem by having sagging breasts.
There are different techniques for the resolution of this pathology, and all of them aim to elevate the areola-nipple complex; reduce breast size (if necessary) or replace it in a physiologically correct situation; achieve volume, shape and symmetry as perfect as possible, all of it with a minimum of residual scars that are as concealed as possible. Thus, according to the degree of mammary ptosis, the scar will be periareolar, vertical or inverted T.
Dr. Sanza performs in only 95% of his patients an areola or vertical, and very rarely a small horizontal or inverted T. He achieves equal or better results without the need of long scars, which are totally unnecessary.
The choice of one technique or another will depend on the characteristics and volume of the breast. Among the mammary characteristics that most determine the procedure, are the height of the nipple, the width of the mammary base, the breast extension and the intermammary distance.
In specific cases, where the amount of tissue is insufficient to achieve the desired volume, the placement of a small prosthesis at the same time of raising the breasts would be assessed.
Reduction and elevation surgery are similar and they share common steps. The majority of patients who have breast hypertrophy problem usually also have some degree of breast ptosis, so both problems must be corrected in the same procedure; that is, to lower and raise the breasts at the same time.
DURATION OF THE SURGERY
- From 1 to 3 hours.
- Evaluation of the area to determine if the treatment is suitable.
- Following the correct guidelines that are set by the doctor.
- Blood tests and general testing (cardiac and respiratory diagnostics).
- Ultrasound scan and/or a mammography.
- Local and sedation; in some cases, general.
- Ambulatory or 24h hospitalization.
- Medication if required.
- Drainage and compression bandage from 24 to 48 h.
- Special plasters for 4 or 5 days that contour the new submammary groove.
- Once drainage and bandages are removed, the use of a special bra is required.
- Mandatory revisions after a few days, a few weeks and a few months, according to prescription.
- From 4 to 5 days.
- Avoid picking up weights and making abrupt movements from 10 to 20 days.
- Use of sports bra, and comfortable and loose clothing the first few days.
- Do not play sports or activities that require effort for at least a month.
RESULTS / OUTCOME
- Breasts replacement.
- Breasts balance and symmetry.
- Excellent and very natural results, with minimum scars.
- Improvement of the patient’s psychological profile and self-esteem.
- Simple-medium intervention.
LEVEL OF RISK
- Low-medium, according to size and breast descent.
- Common risks the intervention could have: bad healing would entail scarring retouch.
- Risks of all interventions: hemorrhage, infection, scarring alteration.
Do you want to know what breast scars look like?
We have a very informative article that talks in detail and shows graphics of what breast operation scars look like, where the scar is made, and much more.
If you are interested click on this button:
Whatever your case may be, do not hesitate in contacting us.
Clínica Sanza in Barcelona, Spain, quality service