Lip Reconstruction - Cleft Lip
Video subtitled in English
The lip reconstruction that we perform at Clínica Sanza in Barcelona requires a specific assessment of each person’s problem in order to find the most appropriate therapeutic option for each particular case.Clínica Sanza in Barcelona, is a reference center in the treatment of lip reconstruction.
WHERE DO WE PERFORM THE OPERATIONS?
At Clínica Sanza we rely on the Sagrat Cor Hospital, part of the Quirónsalud group, to perform our surgical procedures.
Its prestige, facilities, medical and sanitary personnel, as well as its technology endorse it.
People, generally infants, with cleft lip, or who present a malformation due to genetic or traumatic causes such as tumors, accidents, scars, burns, etc.
Being a malformation that usually occurs in newborns, cleft lip surgery will be performed at an early age and can be very variable depending on the affected areas: lip; lip and palate, or lip, palate and nose. It also depends on whether it is unilateral or bilateral.
Due to these varying degrees of complexity, it is sometimes necessary to perform the procedure in one, two or three stages.
DURATION OF THE INTERVENTION
- From 1 to 4 hours, depending on the case
- Evaluation of the area to determine the adequacy of the treatment.
- Follow specific guidelines determined by the doctor
- CBC and tests on cardiac and respiratory status
- Local and sedation if desired
- Medication if required
- Mandatory check-ups after a few days, a few weeks and a few months, according to prescription
- Variable, on a case-by-case basis
- Very rewarding
- Restoration of the natural look
- Improvement of the patient’s psychological profile and self-esteem.
DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY
- Medium intervention
LEVEL OF RISK
- Medium-high, depending on the degree of deformity
- Risks inherent to the procedure: care of the mucosal stitches
- Risks of any operation: bleeding, infection, impaired healing