Lip augmentation - Cheiloplasty
Video subtitled in English
The lip augmentation that we perform at Clínica Sanza in Barcelona can be done in two ways:
- The best known, with hyaluronic acid infiltrations. This solution is the simplest, quickest and cheapest, but it is not definitive, it is good for a while.
Click on this link to see all the information about hyaluronic acid for lips.
- The lesser known is technically called everting the lips. It is a small lip operation that allows to take out the labial mucosa of one or both lips in a definitive and even more natural and elegant way. It allows the recovery of lip size lost over the years, the improvement of peribuccal wrinkles or the increase of thickness or profile when desired.
Clínica Sanza in Barcelona is a reference center in the treatment of lip augmentation.
WHERE DO WE PERFORM THE OPERATIONS?
At Clínica Sanza we rely on the Sagrat Cor Hospital, part of the Quirónsalud group, to perform our surgical procedures.
Its prestige, facilities, medical and sanitary personnel, as well as its technology endorse it.
Generally, women and men who wish to improve the profile or volume of their lips, or have some obvious asymmetry.
There are two procedures for this procedure, depending on whether temporary or definitive results are desired.
Through the infiltration of substances, such as the well-known hyaluronic acid or others, we can conceal and correct the deficit of volume or improve the projection of the lips, achieving in a simple way to gain a splendid appearance.
The materials we use are temporary and biocompatible with the body, and of analogous consistency to the tissue in which they are implanted, so they are almost imperceptible to the touch. They are chemically and physically stable over time.
You can work on the volume of the lip or simply outline the edge and the cupid’s bow with very natural results. The key to a good result is the combination of the material to be infiltrated, experience in its application and doing it little by little, without large increases.
We advise not to use permanent products to avoid displacements and bumps over time; neither threads nor lip prostheses, since in the long run they always end up being noticed or displaced unless the patient does not smile or kiss or gesture much with the lips.
With a small intervention performed under local anesthesia (as when we go to the dentist). It consists of advancing the internal labial mucosa in order to evert it outwards, without the need to infiltrate any product.
This technique is increasingly requested by patients as it is definitive, and even more natural and elegant.
VIDEO: HOW HYALURONIC ACID IS INJECTED
DURATION OF THE INTERVENTION
- From ½ h to 1 h per session
- Evaluation of the area to determine the adequacy of the treatment.
- Follow specific guidelines determined by the doctor
- CBC and tests on cardiac and respiratory status
- No hospitalization
- Medication if required
- Immediate recovery with hyaluronic acid infiltration.
- One week in case of definitive intervention
- Excellent and safe result
- Natural appearance and consistency
- Improvement of the patient’s psychological profile and self-esteem.
DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY
- Simple intervention
LEVEL OF RISK
- Risks inherent to the operation: postoperative care of the stitches on the internal mucosa of the lips for 10 days.
- Risks of any operation: bleeding, infection, impaired healing
Whatever your case may be, do not hesitate to contact us.
Sanza Clinic in Barcelona, quality of service
Frequently asked questions about lip augmentation surgery
What is lip augmentation?
The lips may be small, thin, not very fleshy or poorly outlined. They may present small asymmetries or scars, caused either by heredity, trauma or previous treatments. Through the infiltration of certain substances, it is possible to give more volume, improve the shape, give symmetry, projection or outline the lips, always maintaining a natural and aesthetic appearance.
What area of the lips can be improved with these fillers?
Depending on the needs of each patient, the implantation can be performed in 3 ways: in the most posterior or inner area of the lips that contacts the teeth or gums in order to give projection and eversion; in the center or fleshy portion to increase overall and achieve volume; and/or in the mucocutaneous border (junction of the skin with the lip mucosa) to define and outline the lip or eliminate perioral wrinkles.
What is hyaluronic acid and what are its advantages for lip fillers?
- It is a natural, biodegradable and resorbable (temporary) product. Approximately 1 year depending on the product used, infiltrated volume and injection technique.
- The implant is integrated into the tissues in a natural way, allowing oxygen and nutrients to pass through the skin.
- It allows maintaining an adequate hydration of the skin and a turgidity characteristic of youth, so that the results, on the lips, are aesthetically evident and above all very natural both visually and to the touch.
Can I use this technique to improve lip asymmetries?
Occasionally there are patients who have one lip different from the other, not only between the upper and lower lip, but there may also be differences between the lip on one side and the other. These small imperfections can be very evident, and fortunately they can be corrected very satisfactorily with the use of hyaluronic acid type fillers.
Does lip augmentation hurt?
It is a procedure that can be performed with cream anesthesia or local anesthesia as the dentist, so it is completely painless both in the application and afterwards. If injected without anesthesia it is painful. At Clínica Sanza we advise to use anesthesia, like the dentist’s anesthesia, in order to work well, without pain, and to have better results.
Can I talk, laugh or kiss after placement?
Once the filling material has been placed in the lip, we suggest relative rest of the area, avoid intense gesticulation, kissing, chewing with energy during the first 12 to 24 hours to avoid displacement of the hyaluronic acid molecule or inflammation. After this time you can make normal movements.
I have a history of cold sores, can I have a lip filler?
Yes, but taking Acyclovir for a few days to prevent it. The placement of the filler in the lips can cause transitory inflammation and sometimes a modification of the defenses of the area and therefore favor the appearance of cold sores, so we recommend anti-herpes prevention in patients with a history of suffering from it, and prevent it from happening.
What is better lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid or with your own fat?
They are two different procedures and depending on what each patient desires, one or the other may be effective. Lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid is a temporary solution while lip lipofilling is a permanent solution. The first is a medical procedure and the other involves minimal intervention. In any case, this decision should be made by the patient in consensus with the plastic surgeon so that he/she can advise you on the most appropriate option for you.
If I don't like it, do I have to be in bad shape for 1 year?
No. Hyaluronic acid has an antidote called hyaluronidase. If you do not like the result or any asymmetry is observed we can inject hyaluronidase and the hyaluronic acid will be reabsorbed in 24-48h.
Are there other substances or ways to augment the lips?
Yes. We do not recommend calcium hydroxyapatite because it is harder and may form a lump. There are permanent fillers such as silicones or methacrylate, but we do not recommend them because over the years they produce deformities in the lips.