Otoplasty, ear reconstruction
Ear reconstruction plastic surgery is indicated for people who have some kind of important deformity in their ears, or even for those who are born without ears or with only a part of them. It requires an assessment of the problem that affects each person so that the plastic surgeon can advise the most appropriate option for each case.
It can be confused with
ear malformation surgery
The difference is that this case is more indicated for people whose ear reconstruction cases are more important.
Clínica Sanza in Barcelona, is a reference center in the treatment of otoplasty.
WHERE DO WE PERFORM THE OPERATIONS?
At Clínica Sanza we rely on the Sagrat Cor Hospital, part of the Quirónsalud group, to perform our surgical procedures.
Its prestige, facilities, medical and sanitary personnel, as well as its technology endorse it.
People who present a deformity due to traumatic causes such as tumors, accidents or scars.
People born with anotia or microtia, that is, without ears or a small outline.
It is usually more complex than cosmetic otoplasty. It may require 2 or 3 surgical times to first provide excess skin, and then cartilage or prosthesis to form the new ear.
DURATION OF THE INTERVENTION
- 3 to 4 hours
- Evaluation of the area to determine the adequacy of the treatment.
- Follow specific guidelines determined by the doctor
- CBC and tests on cardiac and respiratory status if needed
- Local and sedation, or general
- 24 h to 48 h if rib cartilage removal is required
- Bandage covering both pinnae
- Bandage removal after 48 hours
- Withdrawal of stitches between 10 and 15 days
- Medication if required
- Mandatory check-ups after a few days, a few weeks and a few months, according to prescription
- Do not clean wounds until 4 or 5 days
- No risky sports until 30 days
- Avoid direct exposure of the wound to the sun during this period.
- They usually require several touch-ups until the ears are evened out.
- Improvement of the patient’s psychological profile and self-esteem.
DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY
- Medium-high intervention
LEVEL OF RISK
- Risks inherent to the intervention: possible recurrence requiring touch-up
- Risks of any operation: bleeding, infection, impaired healing
Whatever your case may be, do not hesitate to contact us.
Sanza Clinic in Barcelona, quality of service
Frequently asked questions about ear reconstruction surgery
What is ear reconstruction?
What is microtia?
A microtic ear or microtia is one that is much smaller than normal. It is a congenital malformation related to incomplete development of the ear in the fetal stage that presents uni or bilaterally. When the case is more severe, total absence may occur and is known as anotia. They are frequently associated with inner ear problems. It is always advisable to consult an otolaryngologist to rule out any hearing problems.
At what age can surgery for correction of mycotic ear be performed?
What are the methods of ear reconstruction?
What type of anesthesia is used in ear reconstruction?
Depending on the case, ear reconstruction surgery can be performed under local anesthesia and sedation or under general anesthesia. The important thing is that the patient is calm and does not perceive any painful stimulus.
What is the duration of the procedure?
The duration is very variable depending on the etiology of the malformation and the complexity between 1 and 3 hours. In many severe cases it is necessary to perform the reconstruction in several stages.
What is the postoperative care?
Postoperative care is essential for successful pinna reconstruction. Much of the success of any surgery depends on postoperative care, this recommendation applies particularly to children to avoid complications. The newly constructed ear is permanently observed by the surgeon to prevent the development of signs of infection or vascular compromise. In any case, the patient receives antibiotic medication to prevent this eventuality.
Is it possible to achieve perfect symmetry?
When it happens in both ears the reconstruction is more tedious but the result of symmetry is better. When it only happens in one ear it is necessary to make small touch-ups to make the affected ear more and more equal to the healthy contralateral one.