Breast reduction surgery | Reduction mammoplasty
The breast reduction surgery or reduction mammoplasty at Clínica Sanza in Barcelona, Spain, consists of mammary hypertrophy correction, a pathology caused by the exaggerated increase of the mammary volume. This increase may take place at puberty. It is known as virginal breast hypertrophy and it is due to a breast hypersensitivity to female hormones. In these cases the breast usually presents a homogenous, turgid, strong and elastic, but large and uncomfortable appearance.
As people get older, the mammary hypertrophy is usually due to the progressive increase of the fat tissue which conforms the breast and may or may not accompany the overdevelopment of the glandular tissue. The breast is large, less turgid, less elastic, with poor internal vascularity and a marked superficial venous network.
The increase of volume altogether with the characteristics of the skin can produce stretch marks, which are nothing more than scars caused by the rupture of the skin, being unable to contain the expansion of the tissue.
The considerable increase of breast volume usually affects the quality of life of many patients, conditioning their way of dressing, sport practice, social developmen and also affecting individual self-image. Besides, from the aesthetic considerations already mentioned, there are also functional issues. Overdeveloped breasts can produce alterations in the bipedestation dynamic causing imbalance and poor support for the dorsal spine. There are other problems,among other pathologies, such as, skin alterations at the level of the submammary groove and shoulder pain caused by the bra,
WHERE DO WE OPERATE?
At Clínica Sanza we rely on the Sagrat Cor Hospital, part of the Quirónsalud group, to perform our surgical procedures.
Its prestige, facilities, medical and healthcare staff, as well as its technology are a guarantee.
Usually, women who consider their breast too big and desire to change their size and shape.
There are different techniques for the resolution of this pathology, and all of them aim to elevate the areola-nipple complex; reduce breast size; achieve volume, shape and symmetry as perfect as possible, and all with a minimum of residual scars possible. Dr. Sanza gives great importance to the scars and is therefore well known for his minimal scar techniques and better results.
The choice of one technique or another, will depend on the characteristics and volume of the breasts. Among the mammary characteristics that most determine it we find the height of the nipple, the width of the mammary base, the breast extension and the intermammary distance.
Reduction and elevation surgery are similar and they share common steps. The majority of patients who have breast hypertrophy problems usually also have some degree of breast ptosis (dropping breast), so both problems must be corrected in the same procedure; that is, to lower and raise the breasts at the same time.
During the procedure, we always try to minimize the scars, which is why we never, or hardly ever, leave any horizontal scar (the famous inverted “T” or anchor), a technique that despite the cicatricial stigmas, is still being done too often nowadays (unfortunately).
The scars usually trend to look very thin and barely visible in most cases, and on the few occasions when there is a scar that is too visible, corrective procedures can always be carried out; either by a small retouch of these scars in order to make them almost imperceptible, or even tattooing them.
Currently we have a device that we are already use in the unit of mammary surgery of Clinica Sanza, for the disappearance of scars or at least to obtain its maximum attenuation, even in cases of mammary striae or from other corporal zones. If they do not disappear completely, we ensure that they will be much more imperceptible and that they will improve in an incredible way.
DURATION OF THE SURGERY
- From 2 to 3 hours.
- Evaluation of the area to determine if the treatment is suitable.
- Following the correct guidelines that are set by the doctor.
- Blood tests and general testing (cardiac and respiratory diagnostics).
- Ultrasound scan and/or mammography.
- Local and sedation, and in some cases, general.
- Ambulatory or 24h hospitalization.
- Medication if required.
- Drainage and compression bandage from 24h to 48h.
- Special plasters for 4 or 5 days.
- Once drainage and bandages are removed, use of a special bra.
- Mandatory revisions after a few days, a few weeks and a few months, according to prescription.
- From 4 to 5 days.
- Avoid picking up weights and making abrupt movements from 10 to 20 days.
- Use of sports bra, and comfortable and loose clothing the first few days.
- Do not play sports or activities that require effort for at least a month
RESULTS / OUTCOME
- Breasts replacement in a beautiful and elegant way.
- Breasts balance and symmetry.
- Excellent and very natural results, with minimum scars.
- Improvement of the patient’s psychological profile and self-esteem.
- Simple-medium intervention.
LEVEL OF RISK
- Low-medium, according to breast size.
- Common risks the intervention could have: alterations in the nipple areola sensivity, posible alteration in lactation, bad healing would entail scarring.
- Risks of all interventions: hemorrhage, infection, scarring alteration.
Whatever your case may be, do not hesitate in contacting us.
Clínica Sanza in Barcelona, Spain, quality service